Dr. Jan LogemannResearch Fellow
German Historical Institute
1607 New Hampshire Ave NW
Washington DC 20009
Jan Logemann is a Research Fellow and project coordinator of Transatlantic Perspectives: Europe in the Eyes of European Immigrants to the United States
. He studied modern German and U.S. history at Pennsylvania State University and at Humboldt University in Berlin as well as at the Free University's John F. Kennedy Institute. His research focuses on transatlantic comparisons and the development of mass consumer societies in the twentieth century. He is the author of Trams or Tailfins: Public and Private Prosperity in Postwar West Germany and the United States (U Chicago Press, 2012) and of the edited volume The Development of Consumer Credit in Global Perspective (Palgrave, 2012). He has published comparative articles on the history of consumer credit, retailing and urban space, and forms of public consumption in Business History Review, the Journal of Social History, the Journal of Consumer Culture, and Entreprises et Histoire. His current research project looks at the role of European immigrants in transatlantic exchanges in commercial design, marketing, and American consumer culture since the interwar years.
Main Areas of Interest
- Comparative / Transatlantic History
- History of Consumption
- History of Transatlantic Migration / Emigration
- Modern Germany and United States since the 1920s
GHI Research Projects
- European Imports? Émigrés and the Transformation of American Consumer Culture from the 1920s to the 1960s more...
- Aunt Emma and King Customer: Small Retailers between Community and Consumer Interests in the Twentieth Century more ...
- Transatlantic Perspectives: Europe in the Eyes of European Immigrants to the United States, 1930-1980 more...
||Research Fellow and Research Project Coordinator, GHI Washington, DC
||Visiting Research Fellow German Historical Institute Washington DC
||Visiting Assistant Professor in History, Bloomsburg University of PA
||Lecturer in History, Pennsylvania State University